Saturday, July 4, 2009

Annabel Lee

I remember way back in high school when we discussed Edgar Allan Poe's biography and his literary works. We we're even asked to memorize one of his poem. We have to comply with it because that will serve as our final exam. We we're given two days to memorize our chosen poem. Honestly, I never had an interest with any poets and so with their poems. I happen to see Edgar Allan Poe's ANNABEL LEE. So I decided to memorize this poem. When I went home, I immediately brought out my copy of Annabel Lee. I had a hard time memorizing the poem. I cursed myself for choosing this. I should've chose a shorter poem instead. What a heck!!! Anyway, I said to myself that I have to memorize it since we're only given 2 days to memorize it. I have to stick with it. lol. The day has come. We're called to recite our chosen poem in front of the class. I hate it. There are butterflies flying inside my stomach. Argh!!! And so my turn came. I can still feel the butterflies inside my stomach. I was able to recite it but sad to say I forgot the other lines. Though I was given the score of 81 for that. atleast I did my best. Anyway, here is Edagra Allan Poe's ANNABEL LEE.

Annabel Lee

    It was many and many a year ago,
In a kingdom by the sea,
That a maiden there lived whom you may know
By the name of ANNABEL LEE;
And this maiden she lived with no other thought
Than to love and be loved by me.

I was a child and she was a child,
In this kingdom by the sea;
But we loved with a love that was more than love-
I and my Annabel Lee;
With a love that the winged seraphs of heaven
Coveted her and me.

And this was the reason that, long ago,
In this kingdom by the sea,
A wind blew out of a cloud, chilling
My beautiful Annabel Lee;
So that her highborn kinsman came
And bore her away from me,
To shut her up in a sepulchre
In this kingdom by the sea.

The angels, not half so happy in heaven,
Went envying her and me-
Yes!- that was the reason (as all men know,
In this kingdom by the sea)
That the wind came out of the cloud by night,
Chilling and killing my Annabel Lee.

But our love it was stronger by far than the love
Of those who were older than we-
Of many far wiser than we-
And neither the angels in heaven above,
Nor the demons down under the sea,
Can ever dissever my soul from the soul
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee.

For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And the stars never rise but I feel the bright eyes
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side
Of my darling- my darling- my life and my bride,
In the sepulchre there by the sea,
In her tomb by the sounding sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment